Workshops: Many workshops are available, some of the titles include
- Warping and Material Preparation for Live Performance
- LivePA methods and practices – Integrating the laptop and instrument
- Template Design Patterns for Ableton
- Signal Routing and Methods for Digital and Analog Systems
- File handling, naming, and the inner dialog with digitized information
- Audio / Video Hybrid
- Multi-Track recording techniques
- Advanced Ableton Control / Beyond the Master Class
- Production and the Arrangement View
- Bitwig (coming soon)
- Resolume (coming soon)
Consulting : Marc consults, and performs as a freelance audio information architect. For more information please contact.
Instruction : Private lessons and programs are available for all areas of focus. Please contact for more details.
Disclaimer : Marc / DJNSM is in no way affiliated, endorsed, sponsored, or collaborating with Ableton or any other corporate entity. Marc is a performer with 20+ years of professional experience engaging in modern music performance and teaching. The standards in ethics and affiliation kept exceed the requirements of any corporation.
Marc (DJNSM) frequently teaches and provides workshops on electronic music and Controllerism. Since 2010 he has cemented his standing as one of the few true authorities on Controlelrism, grid performance, and End-Game Ableton performance. Templates for DJ performance on the APC40 are in wide circulation, and has publicly released the only Ableton Control Surface (web) App allowing any user to build a control surface for any controller. Some highlights:
- Presented at SXSW 2011 in conjunction w/Livid Instruments, Dubspot, Native Instruments, and Propellerheads.
- (due to flight delay) Substitute for for Ill Gates at SXSW workshop.
- Promoter, co-host, and collaborator for the Robert Henke stop at DU (workshops) and Performance at the Planetarium (Monolake).
- Presented in conjunction with Erin Barra.
- Host, organizer, promoter, and presenter (Controllerism workshop) with Ill Gates for many workshops in the Colorado area.
- Presented / workshop for Dubspot NYC.
- Presented in conjunction with Akai/Alesis/Numark for APC40 (template).
- Founder and Lead Organizer of the Colorado Ableton User Group – according to Ableton – the Largest User Group in the World.
- Presenter for Ableton Colorado on topics ranging from Template design, introduction material for Ableton production, Controllers, Performance, Looping, etc.
- Presented at Dubspot for SXSW 2011.
- Presented at Dubspot in NYC (fall 2011).
- Known as one of the most versatile performers able to play Jazz sets, glitch, bass music, down-tempo, house, and others as a Controllerist, LivePA performer, or with a duo and trio.
- Key player in working with Python scripts for the (undocumented and unsupported) Ableton _Framework API.
- Critical player in bridging control voltage and Ableton.
- Livid Instruments Dealer
- Consultant on Template design, Python Control Surfaces, hack/mods (white hat), and high performance electronic music.
- Over a decade of live performance history
- Longest running Jazz Trio nightly in Denver
- Over 500 performances
- Performer on Piano, Electric Piano, Vibraphone, Tabla, Bass, Controllerism, Synthesizer, Visual (VJ), and via installations
- Stunning performances at The Fox Theater (Boulder), Gothic (Denver), Bluebird (Denver), and many more venues
- 10,000+ hours of work on Ableton
Presenting at Dubspot NYC
When Robert Henke (Monolake) came to Visit
SXSW 2011 Presentation
In conjunction with Dubspot, Livid Instruments, Native Instruments, and Propellerheads (Reason) supporting the Scratch Box. Photos and information available at Scratch-Box.com.
Ill Gates Workshops
There have been many.
Ableton Colorado Meet Up
Beginning in 2009, the Ableton Colorado Meet Ups have created one of the most outstanding communities for electronic music in the world.
Petting Zoo #1
Erin Barra workshop
Looper Research & Development
In 2011 we held several free events that centered on improvisation with electronic music, live looping, and pushing electronic music away from soloist formats. The first performance was “Glitch, Guitar, & Grand Piano” where Marc played in jazz trio format on grand piano+controller with bass and guitar. The second performance titled “More Glitch and Grand Piano” allowed Marc to play Fender Rhodes+Analog synth, and controller while c.db.sn took 4 live feeds and looped the other members (including Lawhead on Sax and flute).
When Livid Came to Visit